Pressuring the user for engagement.
Airbnb mention rarity, Amazon counts how much stock is left and other-commerce stores display how many people are viewing or have purchased the product. The user's anxiety is elevated pressuring them to purchase.
- Framing Bias
- Negativity Bias
- Loss Aversion
- Conformity Bias
- Anxiety: Worry arises when other people are looking at the same time.
- Trust: Not possible to tell if copy is real.
- Values and Boundaries: User could have existing anxiety disorder.
- Shoulds e.g. I should buy this quickly.
- Catastrophizing e.g. What if it becomes sold out?
- Balance: Always think about keeping the user in allostasis.
- Transparency: Reduce anxiety by removing uncertainty and explaining algorithm updates.
- Fake Urgency: The user is pressured into completing an action because they are presented with a fake time limitation.
- Continuation: Danger or warning messages breaks scannability.
Don Norman Principles
Jakob Nielson Principles
- User Control and Freedom: There is no freedom when there is pressure.