Skip to content
Illusive Design Pattern
Displaying irrelevant or the most outrageous content for engagement.
- Apps like instagram display irrelevant and the most engaging content such as what’s trending globally when a user creates an account to solve the cold start problem.
- YouTube displays most popular content from experts when user tries to learn as a beginner making the user feel intimidated.
- Availability Bias
- Survivorship Bias
- Authority Bias
- Dopamine: Most engaging content is never-ending and the algorithm learns behaviors over time.
- Status Play: Status is lowered.
- Comparison: Most of the popular content includes celebrities and influencers.
- Values and Boundaries: Not taken into account when account is created.
- Shoulds e.g. I should look like that.
- Filtering: e.g. Why can’t I look like that?
- Labelling e.g. I’m no good because I don’t look like this.
- Overgeneralization e.g. Everyone else is better.
- Discounting the Positives e.g. My features are not good.
- Jumping to Conclusions e.g. I should get this as it can fix me.
- Catastrophizing e.g. What if I can’t look like this?
- Champion: Don't be a hypocrite, use the product you build.
- Warmness: Avoid the cold start problem with the fake start solution.
- Chronic Stress: Avoid repetitive stimulation using outrage.
- Chronic Anxiety: Avoid the state of uncertainty and provide reassurance.
Don Norman Principles
Jakob Nielson Principles