Making it easy to skip the boring yet important information for adoption.
Privacy is an important topic and the user’s rights are hidden under legal jargon, inaccessible small print and placed in a location that makes it hard to view. Users sign up for a product and their mental model revolves around the features and not the wall of text so they are less likely to read it.
- Salient Bias
- Sunk Cost Fallacy
- Hyperbolic Discounting
- Dopamine: Reading long legal text is unenjoyable.
- Flow: The T&Cs are displayed during sign up and being asked to read long text.
- Calmness: Provide all information required upfront before the journey.
- Transparency: Reduce anxiety by removing uncertainty and explaining algorithm updates.
Don Norman Principles
- Hierarchy: The link to T&Cs tend to be smaller reducing it’s prominence.
Jakob Nielson Principles