Skip to content
Illusive Design Pattern
Mixing the interface with freemium and premium interactions for conversion.
Apps like Canva mix their interface with inaccessible premium features lacking strong distinction with the free features.
- Anchoring Bias
- Framing Bias
- Flow: Hard to carry out workflow when wrong buttons are selected.
- Stress: Frustration when wrong actions are selected.
- Personalization e.g. Why do I keep choosing the option?
- Shoulds e.g. I should not be making this mistake.
- Declutter: Avoid spamming the interface with freemium and premium interactions.
- Continuation: Mix of free and premium is inconsistent.
- Proximity: Free and premium features too close to each other.
Don Norman Principles
- Signifier: Too subtle as interface is scannable and elements are stored in memory.
Jakob Nielson Principles
- Consistency: Mix causes confusion.
- Error Prevention: Easy to click on wrong action.